Wheat Gelli Print

Sketch

First layers before the final coat

Pulled print

Salvaged print

I have been trying a  new thing lately.  I was watching some youtube videos to get a better handle on making the gelli prints and saw a new technique where you make a kind of reverse painting to print from.  The successive layers are allowed to dry completely and when you are done, the print is pulled while the last layer, covering the whole plate, is still wet.  Somehow, if it is done correctly, this ends up pulling all of the dried layers with it.

I started with making a sketch which I put under the clear gel plate.  I carefully decided how to paint the successive layers so that the details would come through in the right order and then I rolled on the last one, covering the whole plate.  Unfortunately, the last one’s colors were too close to the wheat sheaf colors and they all disappeared.  I salvaged it by repainting the wheat, but I was disappointed that I had to do that, as I rather liked what I had done.  Lesson learned, even though it was the hard way.

I have done several more and think they are improving as I go along.  Something different for my etsy store.