No berries today – just another finished entryway

I planned to go and pick berries this morning but ended up not doing so. We got about .75″ of rain overnight and it was going to be too sloppy out there. I don’t mind getting a little wet, but these berries are so fragile that if I pick them all soaking, they will tend to crush themselves a little more lying in the picking containers. Can’t have that.

Gothic style entry

I had almost finished the next entryway and decided to do that instead.  I did get to talk to someone knowledgeable about slate tiles and he said the best came out of Vermont.  They tended to last the longest and have the most color variation in them, including some yellows and rusty colors.  He said that the ones that were mostly blue were probably from Pennsylvania.  I don’t know quite what to believe because we put Pennsylvania bluestone on our front porch and though it is predominantly blue, some pieces are almost solid shades of rusty orange.  Who knows?  It’s just really pretty.

I like the choice of the blue/grey trim with the brick and the slate roof and I think that the diamond grids are a better fit than the square colonial grids.  You can now see the recess of the front door a little better and I think it adds a little bit of distinction to the entrance.

Ohio entryway, updated.

Well, it finally stopped raining for a few days, so there was some indoor and outdoor work accomplished. I have gotten most of the annuals planted and have started the arduous task of weeding.  Only a few things left to do, including deciding if we are going to buy some more fruit trees.  We can’t determine if we want to keep planting them in the same spot or start over in an area that we would fence.  Easier to decide now before more things go in.  Since we have had so much damage from the deer it is a very real decision.  You’d think they’d respect that we don’t hunt but they just treat my gardens like a cafeteria line. 

An elegant Ohio enrtyway

Anyway after letting the picture sit a few days, I went back and put on the color. It was fairly quick this time as the picture was smaller than the recent ones and I knew pretty much what I wanted to do. I like the fact that the slate roof wasn’t the standard blue/green/grey tiles.  It is a rosy grey that distinguished it from many of the other slate roofed homes in the area and I think quite lovely.  It fits well with the dark red bricks and limestone accents.  I love the architectural detailing that was put on residences in the early part of the century but is generally unaffordable now except in the most expensive of homes.  I let the picture sit for another day and a half before returning to make some minor adjustments and filled in the time with making some more mini tags. Last weekend I sold nine to a friend to use on her weavings and she also wanted to give a few away to her weaving compatriots. It was nice to see her go though my stack and pick out ones she liked for herself and for some to give away. It is always fun to see someone enjoy your work.

The only hang up was a near disaster with the new picture. I always try to spray the fixative outside and then let it dry out there, leaning face in against the wall for about 15 minutes if I can, because the odor is incredibly noxious. My husband had been working on the lawn outside and then started started spraying some bug spray at the various door lintels.  I saw him out of the corner of my eye and ran to my door yelling STOP.  Fortunately I caught him before he got to my inward facing artboard and no damage was done.  He was contrite, but my heart stopped beating there for a second.