More lily pads

Base coat and pencil up

Acrylic layer one

More lily pads. I am currently working on three house portrait commissions but I wanted to show what I had been working on before I started on the new ink and pastel work. The pond works may be a bit boring for some by now, but I am totally enjoying painting them and trying to be creative so that none of them are very alike.  I feel pretty successful in that endeavor. Also my technique is improving, don’t you think. LOL

Also, I have items with my images on the Society6 website and the pond paintings have been popular along with the Boise paintings. Another big plus. Check out the link in my blog roll if you are curious about my art on various household and personal items. I am pretty pleased with the variety.

Day two and three

Color, day two

Day three

Slowly but surely, this is coming together.  Surprisingly, I am actually fussing the most with the pinkish reflection on the top.  I really like it in my reference photo, but I am having a hard time balancing it here.  A lot of work to go.

Reed painting finished

Reeds in the lily pond

The reed painting is finally finished.  I must have sat and fiddled with it half a dozen times after I thought I might be done.  And I’m still not super happy with with it.  I kept playing with the shore line behind the reeds more than anything else.  I still think there is not enough definition, but I may just let it sit for a month and look at it later.

Others have said they like it, even thought I am not overly thrilled, so it must have some qualities.  (Mom said she’d take it today LOL)

Pond reed painting

Pencil up with the ground layer

Two sessions in

I thought I might be done with the pond paintings, but my husband commented in passing that he liked the reed reference photo. I said, what the heck, and decided to try another.

I was feeling pretty good about the three I had done so far, but this vegetation was quite different than the lily pads, even if the color palette was close to the same.  As I worked along, I tried to remember to keep it loose and define the shapes with dabs of color rather than sharp lines.  The preliminary work was okay, but I knew I needed more depth.