Two more gel prints

Palm trees

Dragonfly

I made wo more gel prints, but neither one has made me really happy.  The palm trees were not distinct enough when I pulled the print and I had to touch it up afterwards.  At least I remembered to put in the texture on the final layer.

Not so much on the dragonfly one.  I was happy with the pulled print, but I forgot to add the bubble wrap texture on the final layer.  I think it would have added something, but maybe not.  Since I penned in the veining on the wings, maybe it would have all melded together.  Who knows.

These are all works in progress with a lot of experimentation (deliberate or not LOL).  So far I am having fun and I seem to be selling more prints in my etsy shop, so what the heck.  I’ll keep on trying.

Wheat Gelli Print

Sketch

First layers before the final coat

Pulled print

Salvaged print

I have been trying a  new thing lately.  I was watching some youtube videos to get a better handle on making the gelli prints and saw a new technique where you make a kind of reverse painting to print from.  The successive layers are allowed to dry completely and when you are done, the print is pulled while the last layer, covering the whole plate, is still wet.  Somehow, if it is done correctly, this ends up pulling all of the dried layers with it.

I started with making a sketch which I put under the clear gel plate.  I carefully decided how to paint the successive layers so that the details would come through in the right order and then I rolled on the last one, covering the whole plate.  Unfortunately, the last one’s colors were too close to the wheat sheaf colors and they all disappeared.  I salvaged it by repainting the wheat, but I was disappointed that I had to do that, as I rather liked what I had done.  Lesson learned, even though it was the hard way.

I have done several more and think they are improving as I go along.  Something different for my etsy store.