A different direction for a bit

A paper mosaic

I wanted to do something different right now because I have a little bit of time for experimentation. Commissions and on line sales are on the low end right now due to the virus shut down. So, for my next trick, I decided to do something with the gelli plate fails.

I had a plant photo that I liked and decided that the gelli prints might make a good basis for a paper mosaic.  Out came the scissors and I proceeded to salvage what I could from the bad gelli prints.  I played around with the various pieces and came up with this.  I kind of like it.  How about you.  I am thinking of using it as an Instagram give away.

Another gelli print

Pencil drawing

On the plate

Hand pulled print

I made a second gelli print and it turned out much better to my eye than the first one.  This one looks a bit like a primitive after the pull.  I did remember to use the little bubble wrap sheet to texture the background.  Of all of the ones I have done so far this is the one I like best.

There is definitely a learning curve to this technique, but it is fun because I never know how it will turn out until I pull the print.  Sometimes I figure the layer sequence not quite correctly and sometimes not all of the paint piulls off, but that adds its own charm.  They are definitely monoprints because I could never reproduce them, even if I tried to do the same thing again.