Home Portrait Number 3

Pencil preliminary
Inked up

Here is the third of the set of three home portrait commissions from the last 2 months. Drawing and inking this was more in the normal time frame compared to the last one. The house and landscaping were fairly straight forward and easy to lay out.

This had a lot more foliage blocking the front view so I had to cut it back and move it around somewhat to expose a larger portion of the facade. Even so, that was a lot of greenery. The house itself is rather traditional so it was pretty quick pencil up and ink in.

It has been rather nice to go back and forth between these portraits and the landscape paintings. It helps keep it interesting.

All of the color is on

I finished this recently and it has been delivered. The yellow siding was a bit intense with the red brick and green shutters, but it worked out okay. Not as much with the landscaping in this one, especially for flowers. I like having lots of flowers because it is usually a nice pop of color across the portrait, but what can you do. I don’t think this is actually the last phase of the picture, but it is the last photo I took. I’ve been busy and I think I had a brain cramp.

Home Portrait Commission

Home portrait

Inked

I received a local commission this month for a lovely two story brick house in the older section of Bloomington.  The woman was moving away from her long time residence to be closer to family and someone wanted to give her a nice memento of a home she had lived in for many decades.  It was a bit hard to get the pictures because it was to be a surprise, but stealth prevailed and we got the job done.

I wish there had been more colorful landscaping in the front, but I have the feeling she was no longer able to keep much up exotic landscaping.  There are nice flowers on the front porch, however, to add a little pop to the picture.  I also like the little wrought iron fence on top of the doorway and the curved railing.  They are fun little details and add visual interest.  I am coloring it with pastels instead of watercolor.  It was a larger size and I like doing brick with the pastels as it gives a richer color than the watercolors when the picture is bigger.

Watercolored in

All done

All done

I finally finished this home portrait and I think it turned out pretty nicely.  After all of the difficulty in the layout, the watercolor was easy.  This duplex had some unique accents, including the diamonds on the rake board and some sort of concrete inset in the gable brick.  I never could make out what they were, but the picture is only an 8×6 so I couldn’t really delineate it much anyway.

The blue/gray accent color meshed nicely with the multicolor red brick.  The lighter cream color kept the house from being too dark overall.  It’s off to the client.  She should get it today.