A third lily pond painting

Pond pencil up

First layers down

I have enjoyed these pond paintings much more than I thought I would.  It is the first time I have been even remotely satisfied with what I have done with acrylics since college (low those MANY years ago).

Since I felt that the relatively bigger size of the lily pads in the previous painting was harder for me to deal with, I decided to go bigger in the canvas (14″x11″) and smaller again for the pads.  This is actually a rather large size painting for me, so that added its own bit of stress.

I put down most of the water before I moved on to the lily pads.  It seemed easier to place most of the background down first and then add the vegetation on top of it.  Then I could also shade under the pads and adjust the water to add depth and interest.  I was pretty pleased at this point, much more so than with pond painting 2.  Smaller pads were definitely the way to go for me.  Who knows where this will lead in my acrylic adventure.  It’s been fun so far.

Advertisements

I thought number 2 was done

I thought it was finished

But now it’s redone

After I finished the painting in the first photo, I thought I was done.  I had added depth by increasing the yellows and oranges in the pads and yellow ocher to the water to make it less monochromatic.  But, still, the more it sat, the less I liked it, even as I worked on another, larger one.  I fussed with the colors more, taking out some details with broader brush strokes and putting more yellow ocher in the water, but something still wasn’t right.

One day, right after I had cleaned and put down the brushes on the third painting, it occurred to me  to just take out a few pads and thus increase the amount of water in the background.  I needed to think about it, but the next day I still thought it might be a good way to go.  So I did it.

In the end, I think I worked more on this little painting than the other two larger ones combined.  Still, I think it was worth it.

A new lily pad painting

Pencil drawing

Two days in on the first paint layer

I enjoyed the last lily pad painting so much that I decided to do another one.  At 8×8, this one is smaller, but the lily pads are bigger.  This poses some painting detail issues for me. How much do I show.  I am not very good with details with acylics yet.  The paint always feels too thick to make fine lines , no matter the brush size, and the thickness of paint varies too much as I lay it down.

This is two days in on the first layer of paint.  Already I can see I am going to have problems.  I don’t want it to look unblended and overdone, but it seems to be heading that way anyway.  In the first one, the pads were so small that I could indicate them with just a few brush strokes. Here, they are so big that I have to add some detail.  But the more I add, the less I like it.  The water underneath needs depth, but the spaces between are so small that that is giving me trouble too. This one is going to have a lot of fussing to it.

New home portrait for Boise Idaho has been mailed

Finished

My second home portrait Christmas commission is finished and gone.  As it was a new build, I enlarged the landscaping and greened up the grass to help it settle into the landscape.  It was kind of fun to do a portrait from a far away place that I had actually visited near.

I did hear from the client that it safely arrived and that she was delighted.  I had wrapped it so that she couldn’t see it directly on opening the shipping box and she said it was like her own Christmas!  So happy she is happy.

Boise home commission

Little house in the foothills

Inked in

Shortly after I received the OPO commission, a second Christmas house commission popped up.   Unbeknownst to this client at the time, I have a personal connection to Boise, Idaho, where this home was just built. As some of you may know, my son and his family moved out there last year for a new job and we have visited them several times already.  It was fun to draw this home located in the foothills of Boise which I have hiked in ever so briefly while I was there.

Since it was a new build, the client was able to get me the paint chip number for the siding paint.  It was much easier to get the color on the exterior right with that reference as the colors in a photograph are not always true.  Watercolor next.

Finished Landscape Painting

The finished landscape

I finished the latest Boise landscape earlier this month. This piece was painted over a rather extended period of time – most unusual for me as I tend to work in spurts and not drag things out.  We had our 3 week trip to Boise for our grandson’s 2nd birthday and the birth of our next one smack in the middle of the painting sessions, so I got quite the “distance” to evaluate where it was going.

In the end, I didn’t change too much during the second split session.  I glazed over the upper part to soften it and blur out some of the details, which I though I overdid.  I am enjoying taking a break from the line work with these paintings, but I think I may head back to the inks pretty soon.

 

 

Idaho Landscape

Base coat

First layer of color

All four of my previous Idaho landscapes went to their new home in Boise, Idaho, in August, so I decided I had to paint some more to list in my etsy store. These are the first two layers of a recent work.  It is up in the foothills looking down onto some of the numerous trails that are there.

We do hiking and photo taking every time when we are in town visiting family, but don’t ask me where the view is from.  We have looked up and down from so many places that I can’t keep it all straight in my head.  Heaven forbid I keep notes as I photograph LOL but if someone really needs to know, I am sure my son can tell me.

Previous Older Entries