A New Project – Something I’ve Never Tried Before

This is something totally new for me.  My dear daughter-in-law asked me to draw a children’s book with her words for my grandson, about to be one year old.  It will be a square book  so these are two facing pages each.  I did a pencil up of each page and let her approve them.  Here is the penned version.  Watercolor goes over the ink.  So far, so good.

Page 8

Page 4

Page 7

Page 6

Page 2

Page 6

Page 1

Page 3

Gizmo done


Gizmo

I finished Gizmo’s watercolor portrait, and I must say, I like it much better than the acrylic one.  I was able to be much more delicate in depicting him – and he was a very delicate little guy.  I think for portraiture (both pet and architectural) that pen and ink with the watercolor or pastel overlay is much more suited to my style.  I really need to take an acrylic class and get a better idea of technique.

Redoing Gizmo’s portrait

Pencil up

I wasn’t ever really happy with the acrylic portrait of Gizmo the cat, so I decided to try it again with the pen and watercolors.  Here are the pencil drawing and the inked sketch.

So far, I am pleased.  I feel I have so much more control with the pen and watercolors.  Maybe it is the lazy way out, but I haven’t done a pet portrait since the two of my friend’s horses last summer and I wanted to try something again.  I’ll wait to finish the inking if I need to until after the watercolors.  I don’t want it to get too dark as he was a lighter orange tabby.

Inked

Jasper Watercolors

Watercolored

I finished the watercolors for this Jasper streetscape.  The storefronts in this rural Indiana town are to die for.  You don’t see architecture like this being built anymore and I love to find it thriving here.

I enjoyed all of the patterned brickwork on the second story, although it was not the easiest thing in the world to paint.  It’s amazing how my eye (and hand) kept jumping around when all I wanted to do was alternate the colors in a small area.  I made a couple of mistakes, but fortunately I could easily fix them as I progressed.  All of the layers helped too.  This is the last interesting shop front in this town square, so I will have to be looking around for a new one.  I need some inspiration.