I tried a floral painting this time around, but it seems well on the way to another blech rating. It’s not as bad as the barn painting was, but this one may be destined for the circular file too. This is the second session for it, but alas, not much improvement has taken place. It’s not awful, but it’s not very good either. I am still having trouble with applying the thick bodied acrylic paint. I have used an extender and a slow drying agent, but I am still feel I am fighting the paint instead of using it.
I am definitely thinking of taking a refresher class for acrylics over the summer. I feel my problems are more technique related than use of colors or composition and it’s been a looooong time since college. Not that my college works were any great thing, but I have concentrated most of my efforts in the last 30 years in pen and ink and more recently watercolors and I think I have forgotten a lot in the process. I think the acrylic animal portraits have been better because the style is looser and less requiring of detail.
I had one last session with the Gizmo pet portrait while doing this and will post the results next time. I think it turned out okay.