Now that I have finished the 2 commissions I’m back to working with the acrylics. I decided to use some reference photos of my daughter’s cat. The animal subjects seem to be going better than the architectural ones right now. I may have to wait until I take a refresher acrylic class to figure out the problems I have been having with the detail work.
This is the base coat. Pretty bright, isn’t it. He is a light ginger tiger cat, almost shading more to the tan side rather than the orange. I wanted to tone down a base with the lighter colors rather than add darks over a lighter base. To me, this is a basic difference of watercolors vs acrylics. It is much harder for me to lighten a dark watercolor than to do the same on an acrylic. The success of this portrait will be in the eyes.