After two more sessions of fiddling around, I think I’m done. I don’t know if you can see much difference, but I added depth to his coat and changed the background somewhat. I am much happier with this painting overall than I was with the barn one. I think I’ll let it sit for a few days, but unlike what often happens after I finish a piece, I actually have liked it better afterwards.
A floral experiment is up next. I have a photo taken in Atlanta of some purple wisteria which will be fun to experiment with. I do like working with this 8×10 size right now. It’s not too big and not too little. It’s small enough that the detail work is not paramount but not so big that it overwhelms me.