I spent several days inking in the Victorian house. It was somewhat more complicated than you might think. There was a lot of secondary detail drawing as I moved through the various parts of the portrait. I first did most of the lower landscaping including the front tree and then the windows and screened porch and called it a day. The screen porch took a lot of concentration so it didn’t get too dark. I do like to move all around as I work on a piece so that I don’t over work an area and can keep the lights and darks balanced.
The next day I moved to the fish scale shingles and siding. Again, that needed a lot of preliminary pencil layout so the siding and the shingles didn’t get bunched up. Then I worked on the upper windows, barely visible behind the tree. I couldn’t make them too visible or it would look odd behind the foliage. Lastly, I inked in the background foliage and touched up various places that I thought needed something extra. After I apply the color I will probably redefine some areas, mostly the semi-hidden upper windows.