Happy New Year to all

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season and a great start to the new year.  I spent some time with family and friends and just relaxed after a hectic few months with commission work.

I sold quite a few the aceos listed in my shop last year and decided to make a few new ones.  It has been a bit more of a chore than I expected.  I kind of tossed off the original set that I made without thinking much about the process and have come to regret my lack of attention.  I have been unable to replicate that first big sheet for the blanks.  I have been having a problem with the watercolor precipitating out somewhat so the paint doesn’t dry smoothly and evenly.  I have run two sheets and not been overly happy with them.  I used two different brands of watercolors and while one was better than the other, I still had problems.  I think I will try one more time, using a smaller brush to soak the paper.  Maybe the bristles have been scarring the paper someway that I can’t see.  I wish I could remember what I did the first time.  It’s the downside of spontaneity I guess.  And the passage of three years since I made the first set.

New aceos

New aceos

Here are a few that I have managed to eke out in the last few days.

Advertisements

9 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. lindahalcombfineart
    Jan 06, 2015 @ 07:50:48

    These are very pretty. I don’t really understand the process you are using. Can you explain? Are you putting down washes and then using a printer to print the black?

    Reply

  2. ruthsartwork
    Jan 06, 2015 @ 09:05:23

    Hi, Linda. I have a watercolor stretcher board where I fit in a large sheet of paper. ( https://ruthsartwork.wordpress.com/2011/03/16/onto-the-gift-tag-project-the-circular-file-revisited-or-not/ ) I rewet it after it has been stretched and dried and then wash and spatter the watercolors in an abstract way. After it dries again, I cut it up into aceo size pieces. Then I use my ink pen to draw whatever I want. If the link doesn’t work, go to the post on March 16, 2011. I am having trouble with the watercolor precipitating out or the washes drying unevenly.

    Reply

  3. sweepy62
    Jan 07, 2015 @ 06:50:34

    Reblogged this on Abstract Art My Passion. and commented:
    great pieces

    Reply

  4. lesliepaints
    Jan 10, 2015 @ 16:52:34

    These are still colorful, Ruth! I think you may have used more water the first time. That allows the pigment to flow easily and to mingle. If it is not when you try it, you can always spray water onto the surface with a spray bottle and there will be no brush interfering with the flow. I like what you have created here.

    Reply

  5. ruthsartwork
    Jan 10, 2015 @ 20:18:29

    I think I might have figured it out. The last one I did seemed to work out much better. I changed the brush I was using to wet the paper. I think the old one might have been damaging the surface somehow or removing a surface finish that I wasn’t aware of. I didn’t have the paint precipitating out this time and it flowed much more evenly. That’s the trouble in waiting 3 years to retry something and taking no notes the first time around. Sometimes whimsical experimentation has its disadvantages.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: