Yesterday, I worked on the corgi portrait. I was pretty comfortable with the pencil up and only made a couple of adjustments before I started inking. The first decision, once the drawing is finished, is how much to ink. I try to start with a bit of figure outline and then once I have established a rhythm, move to the eyes and nose. To me, the eyes are the most critical part. If they are off, the painting will never look right. The nose and mouth are important, but the soul of the drawing is carried by the eyes. I like the 5×7 size I’m working on. It is big enough for detail, but I can keep to the smaller brushes I am comfortable with. Next up, the Japanese chin – another black and white.
27 Feb 2014 8 Comments
24 Feb 2014 4 Comments
I’ve been a bit under the weather but managed to sketch up these two dog portraits today. One is an adult corgi and the other is a Japanese chin puppy. I like the variety of breed and colors that these present. The corgi is a red and white and the Japanese chin breed is black and white.
Once again both present problems to work out. Tongues hanging out is a new challenge. You are actually seeing the bottom of the chin’s. I think I will work on the corgi first. I am pretty happy with the initial sketch and with a fresh look tomorrow and some minor adjustments, I think I can head right into the inking. The chin needs a little bit of deliberation. Like any black coated animal photo, it is hard to make out some of the details especially around the ears and eyes. A few days of letting it sit may make it easier for me to determine what to do. It’s not that I am really unhappy with it. I just know I need to step away from it for a few days.
19 Feb 2014 Leave a comment
I have never really done any kind of themed art, but with the sale of a couple of ornaments and a Valentine’s Day card, I thought I’d make a few St. Patrick’s Day cards. I had colored up one of the watercolor sheets last week in order to make a few more heart cards, so I made sure I had an area with some nice greens too. I inked up a few of the littler sizes for the smaller cards, but wouldn’t you know it, I didn’t pay enough attention and attached TWO of them up side down. Stems going up just didn’t look right. Two cards down the drain. I salvaged the drawings, but ruined the cards in the process. The larger size will go onto larger watercolor note cards that I haven’t used in over three years, except for one linocut that I also managed to ruin. I should just move some of them out. I kind of like the way these turned out and it was fun to have a different theme to work with. They will be in my shop tomorrow or the next day.
It’s been a warm couple of days now and the snow is melting. I can actually get my car out now. I need to get some enlargements made for two pet portraits that are up next and will also get another package of the blank cards to replace the ones I ruined. Tomorrow is already planned. More snow is predicted after the weekend and I want to keep ahead of the weather.
16 Feb 2014 4 Comments
Stuck in the house after yet another snowfall and extra cold days, I printed and then watercolored the daisy floral linocut from the last post. I use the slicker side of a thin printmaking paper for the black one. After mistakenly using that side for prints a few months ago, I decided I like the way it turned much better than the rougher side. Directions said either side could be used, but naturally I chose the rougher texture that I was more familiar with. As it turns out, it is a little bit easier to get a smooth even print on the slick side. I have a heavier, more watercolor weight paper for the colored one. It only took one experiment to tell me that the thin paper buckles badly and doesn’t look very good. However it is much harder to get an even print on the thicker paper and sometimes I have to print several to get what I need. I have decided to get another brayer. Mine has to be close to 40 years old as I bought it for a college class. I’m checking into what to get so if anyone has a suggestion, I’d appreciate information.
I decided to make the colored flowers hues close to the the real ones. I don’t know what species they are, but they grow prolifically on the road side in late summer and are a deep gold/yellow. They actually make a rather nice bouquet.
Our mac is temporarily down and in the shop for a virus check so I haven’t been surfing through other blogs very much. Hopefully, I’ll get it back in a few days and be able to visit everyone more often.
12 Feb 2014 2 Comments
I decided another linocut was in order for this week. I recently sold one of the colored dragonfly prints in my etsy store and much to my surprise, I didn’t have another black and white to paint on. I pondered a few days deciding what to do when my eyes fell on the disaster of the coasters and saw the one with the yellow daisy flowers. Hmmmm. I need to feel some possible end to these days of snow and cold and this just might do. After a quick sketch, this is what I came up with.
Tomorrow will be a print day for the flowers and the replacement dragonfly. Friday will be the coloring day after I am sure the ink is totally dry. I think I will make it a yellow flower, just like the watercolor for a breath of spring air – even though I know it is a summer bloom.