I must say, I do like the way this turned out. I was a bit hesitant to start the watercolor process because I haven’t done anything quite like it in a long time, but I think I did okay with it. After staring at it for a little while, I finally just picked up the brush and threw on the paint. I started with some greens and yellows for the trees and grass. After I had a base for the foliage on I went to the barn. The gray siding was quite intimidating but I kept layering it. I let it sit for a day and then added more greens, yellows, and umbers. All in all, it took 3 days to finish. Then I forced myself to stop because I was starting to fiddle too much.
According to the owner, the siding was made from chestnut boards and you could still see a bit of orange coloring peeking through the gray in her photos. It adds a nice bit of contrast to the mostly weathered boards. The barn was built over a stone foundation and I’ll bet that the stone was locally quarried or even found in the fields as they were cleared. I am sure it has seen its share of history. I wonder how many animals have made their home in those stalls.
Oh, and the buyer got it in the mail just yesterday and she likes it too.