Goldilocks’ dragon revisited

Multicolored dragon print

Multicolored dragon print

I studied the failed dragon prints for a few days and decided to see if I could watercolor the light print into acceptability. I went for a modified red background to help him stand out more and colored his scales with a yellow ocher. I am pleased enough with the red pattern behind him that I may use a variation of it in future prints.  I had to overlay the ocher several times to get the depth I wanted, but I think it looks much better now.  He still seemed too washed out so I added my mossy green to his flanks and upper forelegs and his face.  I used a little bit of ink to sharpen around his eyes.  Evaluating him now, I am much happier than I was when I pulled him.

Dragon bookmark set

Dragon bookmark set

Ultimately, I didn’t think I could salvage these darker prints for sale as they were.  One had the red background added to see if that would provide enough help and the other was left all black.  Still not what I wanted.  It had occurred to me that if I cut them up as bookmarks, I could sell them all together as a funky set.  I ended up rather liking the way this idea turned out.  Fortunately, the dimensions of the original linocut made the sizing easy

What do you think of my choices?  Do you like the watercolored print  as it now stands?  I know it’s vastly improved, but is it enough?  And what do you think of the bookmark set idea?  They need to be laminated because I don’t think the printing ink would stand up to use.  I haven’t laminated anything up in quite a while so maybe it’s time to take a bunch of them in.

I have started prep for the next work.  I stretched a piece of watercolor paper yesterday and am going to throw watercolor washes on it today since it has fully dried. Tomorrow I would like to do an abstract architectural in ink over the washes.  And if it doesn’t work out – more bookmarks.

Advertisements

7 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. coastalartglass
    Apr 28, 2013 @ 10:04:43

    Ruth,
    I love the bookmarks, how creative !

    Reply

  2. Cindy D.
    Apr 28, 2013 @ 12:36:49

    It’s really hard to tell what the top print looks like in real life! Right now the orange and red look pretty close. (Of course, that could be my monitor.) I think the bookmark set idea is great! Both sets look cool!

    Reply

    • ruthsartwork
      Apr 28, 2013 @ 14:18:06

      The colors are different on the actual print, Cindy. I think I will look at it tomorrow and see if I need a bit more ink touch up.

      I think I will end up laminating the cut up ones too. I have several other things ready to go but I didn’t want to just do a few at a time.

      Reply

  3. lesliepaints
    Apr 29, 2013 @ 18:36:24

    I’ve always liked your print works, Ruth. The bookmark set is a great idea. I don’t see why the segments can’t be dry mounted as they are and framed. I think the strips would look great framed!

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: