Goldilocks’ Dragon

Too dark

Too dark

I spent part of yesterday working on making a replacement dragon print for the one I sold last week and it turned out to be a bit more of a project than I planned.  When I make the prints I color, I use a heavier paper than the straight blacks.  It is a very touchy process to get the amount of ink correct and then have it evenly transfer to the paper.

Too light

Too light

This time it took three tries to get it right.  The first one I did was way too light.  I thought I had enough ink on it, but evidently I didn’t.  For the next one I added more ink and it ended up too dark, filling in way too many of his scales. I think the problem was compounded by pressing too hard with the patten and thus pushing some of the excess ink into the little scale gouges.

Just right

Just right

So maybe third time’s the charm.  I re-inked a little bit less after wiping off his scales and pressed down more softly, finally getting one that was acceptable for adding the watercolor.  I really don’t make these often enough to get the heavier paper right the first time around.  It gets expensive, but what can I do?  After I got this one right, I did another one as a spare and it worked out fine.

The fire walker

The fire walker

And here he is, walking through fire, unconcerned and on his merry way.  As long as I am not pulled out of town again, it will be back to the architecturals this week.

Advertisements

2 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. Cindy D.
    Apr 21, 2013 @ 10:31:51

    He looks great with the red – really cool style dragon. How frustrating about the first few prints! But it seems like you should be able to do something with them. I guess you wouldn’t want to spend the time with a black pen darkening the light one. That would be so tedious! Maybe you could cut it up into bookmarks or gift cards and then see what you can do with the pieces. 🙂

    Reply

    • ruthsartwork
      Apr 21, 2013 @ 10:54:36

      I was thinking of what to do with the first ones, too. It WOULD be tedious to color in the lighter one with a pen and I really couldn’t charge extra for that. It did occur to me to cut them up for tags or bookmarks. I would have to seal the pieces somehow, though, because the ink is water based and I am sure not durable under usage. That leaves spraying with fixative or laminating. Definitely something to think about. But if I do figure it out, I have plenty of others gone wrong in the printing process that I could work with too!

      Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: