I let the block sit for a day and then made my final decisions on further cutting. I knew that I wanted to put in the veining on the wings to add texture, but the real choice was whether or not to add more on the reeds and the body. In the end I didn’t want to lose the definition of the wings with too much overlapping texture in the background so I left them alone except for bit on the body segments.
I did have fun with the addition of the watercolors. I made two prints to color, knowing I was going to use my new turquoise paint on one of them. I wanted to evoke a sense of water in the background rather than more vegetation. I thought this blue would do the trick and not be overly dark.
I actually had to paint it twice because the first time was a bit too pale. I have a tendency not to use blue a great deal and I misjudged the depth of color I wanted. I did one in the mossy green, too, and if you want to see it, head over to my shop to the prints section.