I worked rather diligently on the new linoleum blocks once I had them. In addition to the bamboo linoleum block I showed last time, I also wanted to make a companion print to the first shore bird. I decided to hold off the printing until I had both done so I could add the watercolors at the same time.When both were done, I pulled several prints of each. I left one black and have colored the second one with the same mossy green I used before.
I wish I had looked at the first bird more closely before I cut out the second though. I forgot that I left a small border around it and to really make a matched set, I should have put it on the second one. Oh well, it’s not a huge deal. I just wish I had taken a little time to look instead of diving right in. The problem is I don’t like to look a previous work too much when doing something new. It tends to stifle me. I can get bound up in trying to reproduce an effect instead of letting a piece develop its own uniqueness.
I rather like the way the bamboo print turned out. I was a little afraid of it since I based it on two sketches I made last week and I could feel myself focusing on them rather than the block cut at hand. When I got to the color, I debated on how much to add. I started in the lower middle, intending to work my way up and out as the spirit moved me. Then I just decided to put it over the whole area. I though it would better evoke a forest of bamboo. I have another print already made so if I decide to try a partial color I can easily do it. However, looking at it a day later, the total green has grown on me.
And wouldn’t you know it, when I went to get out my printing paper – there was the missing block. I had put it “safely” with the paper, out of the way in my flat file. As I said, it was only safe from me.