As I suggested in my last post, I made a lino print from another found object from my house. I have a little decorative rocking horse that has spent its entire life adding a bit of color to a shelf in my guest bath. I found him several years ago at one of the box decorator stores and bought him because I liked the size and the primitive aspect.
After I cut the plate and printed it, I added some red watercolor. I had always meant to color in the saddle and bridle, but after I looked at it, it seemed necessary to add color to the rockers. Since I made this print, I have removed some of the background around the rockers to help delineate them more. They seemed a little lost unless I painted them. I also made one up in yellow accents instead of red. I rather like the effects of the added watercolors on all of the cuts I’ve done so far. Maybe when I have a better feel for the positive/negative spaces the reverse cutting makes I’ll be more satisfied with the monotones.
I have one more block from the set I bought, but I haven’t decided what to cut yet. I think I like the bird the best so far, but we’ll see. My next piece on the board is actually an architectural of a stone grinding mill with a waterwheel.I have been thinking of doing it for a while and the time seems right.