I took a few of my red raspberries from the refrigerator to make a companion piece to the blackberry watercolor. But while the blackberries are home grown, sadly, the red raspberries are not. At one time I had some very prolific thornless bushes but unfortunately I have never been able to replace them. It would seem that they should fall under my live or die rule, but I keep on trying because they are one of my favorites.
I cut another piece of board the same size as the last and drew up the berries. Again, I laid on the yellow first and then progressed onto the reds. I used an orangy red called fire engine first and then went to alizarin crimson which appears a bit cooler to me. After several layers of each, making sure that I let the paint completely dry, I put on some purple.
I think the raspberries turned out okay, but in putting the pair together, I wish I had put the double leaves on the other side, so that compositionally they were a little different. Oh well, I think the heat and humidity have finally gotten to my brain. When I went outside to take the picture, my camera fogged over and it was only 10 am. Highs close to 100 again.