I went out and picked another half gallon of berries today. It may be the last time I go out as it is starting to heat up again and the returns are diminishing. Still, I have picked 2 1/2 gallons in a year of severe drought, so I shouldn’t complain.
In honor of nature’s bounty in spite of the extremely dry weather, I took a 4.5″ x 7″ piece of leftover board and painted a few of the blackberries I picked earlier today. Once again, I think the leaves aren’t quite right, but I do like the way the berries turned out. I started them out by laying on some bright yellow, then moved onto an orange red. Then came my reddish-purple and lastly my own mix of blue-gray. Even though it is a small painting, I did it over the course of a couple of hours. I felt that not letting the watercolor layers dry completely, even with the use of the hair dryer, would only serve to muddy the berries, especially as I started to darken them. I decided to quit before I got carried away and ended up painting totally over the lighter base colors – an easy thing to have done with the blue gray. Tomorrow’s eyes will tell me if I need to add anything else.
I have some red raspberries in the refrigerator and perhaps a companion piece would be fun.