I picked out two southwestern cityscapes before I started the last one so I was able to dive right in this time. Like the last one, I changed a few things to suit what I wanted to do, but not as much for this as for the last. It was more on the order of some building ornamental detail rather than structural, but I wanted a little bit more embellishment. I am enjoying creating these in pairs, each set with a little bit of a difference in theme and/or color from the others. I think it helps keep me from getting too locked in for these experimental pieces.
This time I started with the teal color and then moved into the reds and yellows. I once again worked on it for three sessions, trying to get the combination of colors right. I am not one much for blues, but I do find this teal color quite appealing. I wanted the viewer to se the teal first in this pair, rather than the reds and purples. The bumped-out windows proved to be a slight problem that I am not quite sure I have addressed fully. I wanted them to give a little depth to the painting, but I didn’t want to leave the roof tops brown. That color in the pallet didn’t seem right. I toned it down with a little purple and was happier with that. I am still toying with the idea of more color on them, but have decided to let them sit for another day or two to decide. Sometimes I just don’t know when to quit. There is a little bit of teal on them that may not quite show up in the photo.
I layed back with the red this time around because it is so easy for it to overpower the other colors. I think that there is actually a little bit more yellow. All in all it matches up well with the first so I might just leave it alone.