The street scape commission for the dog walker website that I did a few months ago has been the inspiration for the last six abstract architectural drawings. At the time I had it in the back of my mind that it would be interesting to add loose, flowing watercolors over the buildings. I couldn’t experiment on the commissioned piece of course, so I went on the current excursion of the abstract in my own pieces. So far I have enjoyed the process and have seen a progression in the use of color. I wanted to try something with a bit more whimsy, so I took a small piece of leftover art board and painted this piece.
I was looking for a bit more of a cartoonish quality, so I inked in the houses a little cock-eyed and then added a figure and her dog. I took up the brushes and painted away using the same basic palette as before. It has taken my eyes a little bit of time to adjust to the whimsical style, but on the whole, I like it.
On the black raspberry front, I have been able to pick a lot more than I thought would be possible this time around. Even after the birds have taken their share, I think I’ve gotten about 1.5 gallons. I froze about 1/2 gallon, gave away and eaten about 1/2 gallon, and I still have about 1/2 gallon in the refrigerator. I will probably go out at least one more time since I found two patches with large berries and lots of them. It is amazing how fast the containers fill up when the berries are decent size and there are multiple ripe ones on the same canes. The blackberry front is looking good. The only question now is if we get enough rain to plump them instead of having them just wither on the cane. I am already watering my flower beds and shrubs. I wish it would rain for a week at this point.