I did get some time over the holiday weekend to spend in the studio. Since there is a little bit of down time when using this misting technique, I decided to try and paint two at once.
I found these two pictures from a long zoo photography session and thought they might be fun to try. I got a little carried away with the frisket and in the future I will probably peel off the larger blobs, but I guess that is part of the experience. Also I am still having a problem with the paper curling with the heavier washes. I painted these on the Arches watercolor paper which I taped down but, especially with the pelican, I got some stretching that didn’t go down after it totally dried. I have put them under some heavy books and maybe that will help.
I did most of the initial pen and ink with the water spritz first and then started to painted the birds. I went back and added some more ink with a little bit of water outside of the birds, creating a little bit of extra grey wash. When I was done, I decided to embellish their bases and the background a little. I added most of the wash on the right side of the pelican at the end because I didn’t feel that he was grounded enough. I think it looks more balanced too.