A hand and 3/4?

I went to see the hand doctor today and the report was all good. He was pleased with the healing’s progress and said most likely I could get rid of the splint in 2-3 weeks.  But since he is out of the office between Christmas and New Years, I’m guessing it will be three weeks. I don’t think I am making that decision on my own.  I have been using my freed thumb and 2 fingers with some care not to overload my hand.  It’s harder than it might seem because if I can grab it with those fingers, the tendency is to lift with it and that’s not a good idea quite yet.  Even so, I managed to get quite a lot done over the last few days. 

All gussied up with color

I drew, inked and colored this cute little commission in record time.  Because it needed to get out in time to be a Christmas gift, I had to compress my normal work schedule to one day for each phase.  I still want to leave a night between each because I truly need to get away to see it clearly.  Today I packaged and sent it off.  I kind of like the way it turned out and I hope they do too.

Someone asked me earlier about the fixatives I use and I actually managed to remember to bring them to the computer with me.  I most often use Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic Coating  #1303.  It provides a gloss finish that pops the firm pastel colors for me.  I first clean up the drawing and the borders with my eraser because it is not a workable fixative and then spray a light coating to enhance the colors.  I know that this a permanent fixative that is supposed to be a final coat but I have colored between coats and artwork that I did 20 years ago still look fine.  I don’t overdo the spray and usually I am just adding some colored pencil or topcoat of pastel and  little bit more ink.  The drawing is already 90% done by this time and I am just adding shadows and reworking the ink detail.  On occasion I have used Krylon workable fixative #1306 but it doesn’t pop the colors in quite the same way even if I later use the 1303 to make the final seal.  I always use it outside and let it air out there for about 10-15 minutes because it is truly noxious when first sprayed.

6 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. DixCutler
    Dec 14, 2011 @ 18:11:03

    Seems a broken bone has not limited youi! It looks great.


  2. Sarah
    Dec 14, 2011 @ 18:15:02

    Beautiful artwork…despite the handicap!


  3. ruthsartwork
    Dec 14, 2011 @ 19:13:53

    Thanks. I like the way it turned out, especially for a rush job. The only problem was sometimes when I was holding the triangle to line out the brick it torqued my hand a little and so I could only do a little bit at a time.


  4. Sonya Johnson
    Dec 16, 2011 @ 19:11:23

    I’ve been away from the blogosphere for a bit, but I’m glad to see your hand is doing well, didn’t require surgery, and that you’ve motored through to another successful painting! Good for you, and I’m sure the client(s) will love it 🙂


  5. ruthsartwork
    Dec 16, 2011 @ 21:06:35

    I hope you’ve been having a good time Sonya, whatever you’ve been doing.


  6. lesliepaints
    Dec 22, 2011 @ 18:33:30

    I want to climb those stepsand sit on that porch swing and swing a little. Great color!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: