I was able to work on this latest watercolor over the course of several days this week. And while I am happy that I made the effort, I think I like it least of the three. I picked several flowers from the beds and went from there.
After two sessions, this is basically what it looked like. I was okay with the purple flowers and the background, but the yellow ones just got muddier the more I worked on them. I decided to let it sit for two days and then see how I felt. I was just dissatisfied enough that the pen and ink were looming in the background. When I did come back, I felt that the yellow flowers needed more definition and I didn’t want to muddy them more, so I got out the ink. Unfortunately, I got too carried away for the smaller flowers. I think the ink must have bled a little more than I expected because it quickly overwhelmed them in a way that I hadn’t anticipated. From there I had to add more ink into the background – more than I had intended and things kind of went down hill from there.
I quit after a short while so I could look at the black areas the next day with a fresher eye and also tone them down with a little more watercolor. I am not sure where I want to go from here with this painting. The pictures actually look a little better than the painting itself. I had to take them indoors under my daylight fluorescents because it is so hot and humid out that my camera lens fogged over outside. I think that I may just let it sit for a while and maybe adjust the ink somewhat later in the week. I do have two small 5×7 pieces of board left and will probably do something simple and quick on them. Then I will probably feel like moving on to something else.