I had decided to spend the week working on trying something new, so I continued using up the cutoff pieces from my last several drawings. The advantage was that the pieces would be small – a plus for me in trying out different things. It is so easy for me to get intimidated by having a large piece of board and not having any idea what to do with it. Once I have figured out what drawing I want to work on, I usually have no trouble starting the line out, but give me a blank sheet with no agenda and I feel like the author with writer’s block.
I let the red flowers painting sit a few days so I could get a fresh look at it. I thought I might be able to control myself and not ink over parts I wanted to have more delineation, but, sorry, to say, I could not do it. As I looked at it and added a little color here and there, I still wasn’t happy with it. I broke out the pen and started adding a little ink. I did end up liking it better then, but it seemed too sharply contrasted. I went back in with the watercolors and added more of the ocher yellow to the petals and took out most of the white in the background. I like it better now and think it might actually reproduce nicely for bookmarks.
Then I decided to move the palette off of red and into mauve. I am slowly creeping up on the blues that I have so much difficulty with so this is the compromise.
I softly drew out two flowers and began to lay in some color, lightly at first and then deeper and deeper. When I had the flowers about half way where I wanted them, I started with background. I know this may be reverse of how most watercolorists work, but I hadn’t decided if I wanted another flower at the top. I actually had more space up there than the finished painting shows that I ended up not using. I put in some background colors and then moved back to the flowers. Slowly, I made it all darker and darker. I am happy to say I was able to control myself not to add in the ink.
I am relatively pleased with the way they turned out, but I am more pleased that I let myself experiment for a change. It is irrationally hard for me to do that. I have a few more pieces of board left and I think I will spend this week doing the same thing. As I said, I am creeping up on blue and maybe the last one can have a blue base.